McIntosh Labs is a manufacturer of exceptional audio equpment,
located in Binghamton, New York. The brand, founded in 1949 by Frank
McIntosh, stands apart especially because of the extremely high
sound quality of its products and the excellent technical specifications.
Many McIntosh equipment can be recognized by its promintent, blue
front panel meters.
In 1946 Frank McIntosh worked as a design consultant for TV stations.
He asked Gorton Gow to assit him in designing a powerful amplifier
with low distortion for his customers. This amplifier was to become
known as the 50W-1. This amplifier utilized the first McIntosh patented
printed circuit, anad this perfect unit is still in use in today's
In 1956 the company moved to its current location at 2 Chambers St.,
Binghamton, New York. Dave O'Brian acuired a position at McIntosh in
1962, where he spent the next three decades leading the amplifier
division. In 1967 McIntosh created its loudspeaker division. Frank
McIntosh retired in 1977. Gordon Gow took the helm and became the new
director of McIntosh Labs.
Until this present day the McIntosh product range consists of
equipment of exceptional quality, both with regard to specifications
as far as their design is concerned. All McIntosh products are
characterized by their extremely high quality of sound reproduction,
their pleasant sound character or "voice" and their typical
design. For these and many other reasons McIntosh Labs still enjoy
a steadfast customer audience.
McIntosh Brochure 2011
McIntosh interview (summer 2009)
Interview about McIntosh
MXA60 in Athlete's Quarterly
McIntosh C2300 review (HVT october 2008)